My Dell XPS720 has been locking up and staying dead for hours. The only thing that would bring it back was unplugging the PC from the power and wait till it forgave whatever offense I committed.
This week I backed up all the data on my PC onto my 1TB My Book and today I wiped out the PC and installed Windows 7 RC.
Just wiping and installing the OS from the burnt ISO image did not work. The Wndows 7 install DVD wanted to find a valid Microsoft OS on the PC before installing.
I had done this dance before so I did the following.
- Removed one bank of RAM to make my PC 2GB
- Began to install Windows XP MCE (it came with my PC)
- Aborted the installation during the file copy portion
- Booted up the Windows 7 DVD and installed a fresh copy
- Put back the 2nd bank of RAM to go back to 4 GB
What a pain in the ass. My next PC will come with Vista SP1 and a free Windows 7 when it’s released. Hopefully I will not have to go through so many hoops then.
I’m currently importing my 18,000+ photos into a fresh installation of PSE 7. I’ve installed Far Cry2 and the 1.03 patch (no DVD check!). Running Far Cry 2 lately cause my PC to crash and get become frozen for a couple of hours.
I’ll see if Windows 7 on my PC is as unstable as my old Vista install was.