All comments left here on this site go to a moderation queue for approval before being displayed for others to read.
- Comments need a valid email address. I will never share anyone’s email to anyone except maybe to other forum moderators. Or law enforcement. More on this below.
- No short links in either the comment or the person’s URL. I can’t abide that because you just don’t know what stops are made on the way to the final URL. I don’t track people or clicks and I expect the same from others.
- Comments may be modified for readability or formatting. This blog is over 10 years old and has over 1,000 approved comments. I’ve only done that 3 times.
- Comments may be deleted here. Obviously. If someone wants to disagree with a post reasonably, that’s fine. Flat out arguments or name calling just go to the trash bin.
- Keep it civil. Ask yourself if you’d say that to someone’s face. Then lose the bravado and ask yourself again.
- I may disregard all of the above. It’s my site after all.
The reason I’m posting a comment policy is simple. Occasionally someone comes to this site and continues an argument from somewhere else. Sometimes from the WordPress Support Forums where I volunteer some of my free time to moderate.
It’s not fine. I don’t care if the person following me here thinks in their mind that they’re doing something that is acceptable. It’s not. When that happens it usually takes me all of 3 minutes to find who it is.
Keep your argument where it already is. Don’t bring it here.
When it’s a forum member they get blocked on the WordPress.ORG site. Other moderators are notified.
When it’s someone who threatens me, the family, leaves a racist comment, sometimes about miscegenation (look it up) then the following happens almost immediately.
- I make an off site copy of my web logs.
- The entire chain of events is written up.
- Any geographical information I have about the person is documented as well as their identity is also preserved. There is very little real anonymity on the Internet.
I’ve never had to file a report, but of course I know how and where to do it. I do know people who have.
Be Nice to Others
That’s not a big ask. Follow the golden rule and let’s engage each other and everyone will get along.